Sunday 11 August 2013

The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey

Desperately trying not to spend any money and buying useless things has gone OK this weekend, all i bought this weekend was an Indian takeaway, a company magazine and a lottery ticket. Talking of which i got ID'd for a lottery ticket!! I'm 22! I'm not surprised though, the woman on the till once tried to tell me that you have to be 25 to buy a lottery ticket!


I feel quite proud so far, never the less I'm still lusting over the clothes in my previous post but am convincing myself that my bedroom cannot contain any more clothes before it bursts.


A bit of a different post today - a little review on this book i read about 1 month ago; The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey. I'd seen this everywhere but never picked it up for some reason as the title didn't grab me. My friend at work happened to buy it and so i borrowed it off her once she'd read it. 


This book is set in Alaska in the 1920's. Mabel and Jack have relocated to a homestead in the wilderness for a fresh start. They are both haunted by the child that Mabel lost many years before but then suddenly a child appears on their land. Is the child really there or is it wishful thinking and is there room in their new lives to welcome something new to their new home.



It was such a lovely read and every time i read i felt like i was being whisked away to a far away fairytale and got completely engrossed in it. I felt that it was really well written and i genuinely warmed to all of the characters. The description of everything was just right; not overly done but enough to get my imagination whirring and in my head i completely envisaged what it was like to be there.


I'd never heard of this author before and looking on her page on Amazon it looks like this is the only book she's written.


Have you ever read this book or have any recommendations?


xx

No comments:

Post a Comment